When Sheng Hua Tang is used in treating postpartum women, it is able to increase contractile activity of the uterus. It also facilitates uterine involution and helps the uterus in returning to its anteverted position. In dairy cows, Sheng Hua Tang increases myoelectrical activity of the uterus after calving. On top of that, it promotes endometrial involution and early discharge of uterine fluid.
What is even more amazing is this: Sheng Hua Tang caused the first postpartum ovulation to occur earlier than in control, which may be an early index for recovery of normal ovarian function and subsequent reproductive performance the context of fertility after miscarriage. In high producing dairy cows SHD promotes uterine involution and ovarian activity in postpartum dairy cows
Intervention to induce medical abortion includes the use of mifepristone and misoprostol. When Sheng Hua Tang was also used, the result was improved outcome in the following parameters:
- Complete abortion
- Induction-abortion time
- Duration of vaginal bleeding
- Menstrual recovery time
If you use Sheng Hua Tang after early medical abortion, it can accelerate uterine involution by improving successful abortion, shortening duration of bleeding and induction-abortion time, and speeding up menstrual recovery time.
This is likely due to
- Increased and regulated hormone levels
- Enhanced microcirculation
- Optimized endometrial cell renewal
- Better management of inflammation
More than that, it is the inflammation piece that TCM may be more helpful with, which is why the five herbs in Sheng Hua Tang is never going to be enough.
These are some other considerations we have in mind, so as to improve outcomes after miscarriage:
- Autoimmune factors: the moment we know that there are autoimmune factors involved, there is usually a situation of chronic local or systemic inflammation that has to be addressed. We can address this by including herbs that bring down systemic inflammation without relying on a high and consistent dosage of oral steroids like prednisone.
- Use to herbs to enhance and regulate uterine contraction: Sheng Hua Tang only has two to three herbs that assist in this area. We prefer to add on many other herbs, which may include two types of peony root, some citruses and other herbs that promote and regulate uterine contraction.
- Use of herbs to further enhance blood circulation and eliminate blood stasis: There are other herbs to use when a patient presents with a pattern of blood stasis.
For patients recovering from miscarriage, whether recurrent or for the first time, the first phase is recovery of the uterus.
Subsequently, the focus will be on building up the body, enhancing circulation and regulating hormonal function. More on this is covered in the Use of Herbs for Confinement.